In a time when many families are dealing with teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, and other problems that are too big for this world, it is kind of refreshing that your son is still asking for allowance money for battery powered skateboards and other kinds of new electric skateboards. And while you sometimes shake your head wen your son wastes another Saturday afternoon skating with his friends, you realize that you could be dealing with far greater issues.
The skateboarding industry continues to thrive in a time when it seems like technology is taking over. And while some skaters are taking the step to move on to off road motorized skateboards, the reality is that these people are still enjoying a sport that requires balance, as well as strong core. From indoor parks to large outdoor skating areas, it is often refreshing to know that many teenagers are still interested in taking safe risks that have long been a part of the nation’s history and culture.
Battery Powered Skateboards Continue to be a Big Draw for Many Teenagers
Although many people have a very specific preference when it comes to the kinds of skateboards that they like to ride, there are still some common characteristics that help identify the best kind. From the strength and the flexibility of the board itself to the smoothness and the speed of the wheels, it is important to make sure that you understand the difference between the ones that will last and the ones that will only be taking up space in a hallway closet.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the skateboarding industry, its customers, and the impact that it has on the nation’s economy:
- Someone who is considered a “core skater” is a person who skates 26 times or more a year.
- 77% of skateboarders indicate that they prefer to shop with small specialty brands, rather than the top brand names that are on the market
- 50% of the total skateboarding market are is accounted for in the U.S.
- The U.S. currently has more than 500 skateboarding parks.
- 3.1% of skateboard sales occur in sporting goods stores.
- 11 million people indicate through self-reporting that they enjoy skateboarding on a regular basis.
When other parents are dealing with much bigger problem, you might be relieved if you find yourself looking at yet another skateboard for your teenager.